The Technology Research and Development Center of Alaska (TREND) has a central mission to assist Alaska’s small businesses and entrepreneurs in commercializing their technology and assist Alaska businesses to compete and win federal research and development grants. TREND offers cash awards and proposal writing assistance to develop SBIR grant applications.
For more information about how Alaska SBDC’s TREND program can help you, contact the Alaska SBDC at 907-786-7201 or via email.
Join Alaska SBDC and EPSCoR in Congratulating its 2021 Phase 0 Grant Awardees
Through the TREND Phase 0 Program at the Alaska Small Business Development Center (Alaska SBDC) in partnership with the University of Alaska Fairbanks Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR), $10,000 grants are awarded to innovators and companies in the early stages of deploying technologies with a strong technical basis and competitive edge. This year’s TREND SBIR Phase 0 pool of applications was among the strongest and most competitive ever.
The TREND Program at the Alaska SBDC and UAF’s EPSCoR is pleased to announce the winners of the 2021 Phase 0 Awards. Please join us in applauding the companies listed below for their commitment to Alaska’s economic diversification and revival.
MustRs LLC (Fairbanks, AK)
MacKinnon Marine Technologies (MMT) (Anchorage, AK)
PKS Consulting, Inc. (Anchorage, AK)
GRAYSTAR Pacific Seafood, Ltd (Anchorage, AK)
Please join the TREND Program and UAF’s EPSCoR Program in congratulating the 2021 Phase 0 awardees!
- August 13, 2021: Phase 0 Grant Awards Announcement!
- June 14, 2021: The Phase 0 Grant application is open!
- June 3, 2021: The Phase 0 Grant application will be opening on Monday, June 14, 2021! Stay tuned for more information on eligibility, application instructions, and formatting on this webpage.
- April 6, 2021: EPA Announces Nearly $2.5 Million in Funding to Small Businesses to Develop Environmental Technologies. This press release mentioned Aquagga Inc. in Juneau, Alaska; a field-deployable hydrothermal alkaline treatment reactor for on-site disposal of PFAS-contaminated wet wastes and brines. Also mentioned is PKS Consulting, Inc. in Anchorage which is a mobile Plastic Ocean Waste Recycler that produces recycled plastic lumber products from locally collected plastic ocean waste.
- August 19, 2020: Please join the University of Alaska Fairbanks Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) Program and the Technology Research and Development Center of Alaska (TREND) Team at the Alaska Small Business Development Center (Alaska SBDC) in congratulating Stephen Grabacki, the President of GRAYSTAR Pacific Seafood, Ltd, in receiving a $100,000 Phase 1 Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant from the United States Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA NIFA). Of only seven approved applications this year, GRAYSTAR has secured a coveted opportunity for Alaska.
USDA grants are nationally competitive and NIFA programs are specialized to provide investment opportunities to those furthering education and agricultural research. The goal of GRAYSTAR’s Phase 1 project is to develop a business to produce and sell Deep Ocean Water (DOW) as a nutraceutical beverage, in one or more coastal Alaska communities. DOW is seawater obtained at ocean depths of 250-1,500 meters. It has a low temperature, high purity, and high concentrations of beneficial mineral nutrients.
Phase 1 work will be performed at Hawaii Ocean Science & Technology Park. Phase 2 work will involve a pilot-scale in Alaska to be evaluated and selected during Phase 1, followed by eventual bulk-sale production. Especially important in the face of a global pandemic and recession, this SBIR Phase 1 grant will increase opportunities for employment and income generation in rural Alaskan coastal communities.
- May 20, 2020: The Alaska SBDC is pleased to announce the winners of the 2020 Phase 0 Awards. Please give a round of applause to the companies listed below for their research, development, and committing themselves to Alaska’s economic diversification and revival:
First Place: Barati Medical, LLC
Second Place: Deeptree, Inc.
Third Place: BeadedStream, LLC
Fourth Place: GRAYSTAR Pacific Seafood, Ltd.
- October 7, 2019: The Alaska SBDC is pleased to announce the winners of the 2019 TREND SBIR Phase 0 Awards. This program, a partnership between the Alaska SBDC and the Established Program to Stimulate Creative Research (EPSCoR) at the University of Alaska Fairbanks provides grants of up to $15,000 to innovative companies seeking to apply for SBIR Phase I or II grants. The companies selected seek to develop technologies that will push the boundaries of ocean exploration, artificial intelligence, and aerospace technologies. The Alaska SBDC’s TREND program is proud to continue to help to support Alaska’s innovators and entrepreneurs turn their dreams into realities.
First Place: The Launch Company
Second Place: Rhizoform, LLC
Third Place: Aquagga Inc.
Fourth Place: Alon Winston Innovations
Fifth Place: GRAYSTAR Pacific Seafood, Ltd.
Please join the Alaska SBDC and UAF’s EPSCoR program in congratulating these innovators and entrepreneurs as they continue to push the boundaries of innovation and position Alaska as a testbed for cutting edge technologies.
- August 12, 2019: For a recording of the SBIR Phase 0 Orientation that took place on August 5, 2019, please follow this link: https://www.gotostage.
com/channel/trendalaska. This includes the information session delivered by experts and the following Q/A period.
- July 16, 2019: TREND will award funding up to $10,000 in cash and services to each of four entries in September 2019 for entries submitted by August 15, 2019. All information submitted will be kept confidential. Simplified Google forms entries found above. Awards will be announced on September 16, 2019.
- July 2, 2019: The TREND program is being updated for a new call for RFPs. Check back for new information after July 15th.
- November 28, 2018: The Department of Defense (DOD) SBIR 19.13 and the STTR 19. A Broad Agency Announcements (BAA) have been pre-released on the DOD SBIR/STTR Small Business Portal. You may now view the topics and ask technical questions through the Q&A system located at https://sbir.
defensebusiness.org/topics. The announcement closes on February 6, 2019.
- December 6, 2018: The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is seeking solutions from eligible U.S. small businesses to meet some of the world’s most daunting developmental challenges. Focus areas include water, agriculture, energy, global stability (democracy and inclusive economic growth), health, and mobile communications technology. Learn more about this program and the opportunities available at www.usaid.gov/SBAR. Preliminary concept papers for SBAR Encore Solicitation due February 20, 2019.
Location: 1901 Bragaw Street, Room 199 | Anchorage, AK 99508