Inclusive entrepreneurship is a vital component of the business world, and this June, the Alaska Small Business Development Center is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for all entrepreneurs. Through inclusive vision, we believe in the power of diverse perspectives and the significant impact that it can have on the overall success of our economy.
At the Alaska SBDC, our goal is to provide resources and support to all entrepreneurs, regardless of their background, demographics, or location. We strive to create an environment that fosters inclusivity and encourages individuals from all walks of life to become involved in the small business community.
We Accomplish This Through:
- Advising: Creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all clients. Providing advisors with UA training on cultural competence and implicit bias. Offering advising sessions with a translator or interpreter to best support the client’s needs and to remove language barriers. Being transparent with clients about the advising process and setting clear expectations.
- Workshops: Offering workshops that address diversity, equity, and inclusion. Including diverse perspectives and voices in the development and delivery of workshops. Creating resources that demonstrate the value of diversity and the importance of inclusion. Designing the workshop space to be inclusive and welcoming for all attendees, regardless of where they reside in the state. These resources are constantly being updated to best represent our community and include topics such as financing, marketing, and legal structure, and are designed to help entrepreneurs from all backgrounds and experience to succeed in their businesses.
- Tools & Resources: Developing business resources that address the needs of diverse entrepreneurs. Providing access to resources and tools that are inclusive and culturally sensitive. Conducting regular evaluations of the tools and resources to ensure that they are meeting the needs of all clients.
To embody this spirit of inclusivity, we are also working to implement initiatives that demonstrate our commitment to promoting and supporting all entrepreneurs. One of these initiatives is incorporating aspects of the America’s SBDC “Inclusivity Challenge.” The challenge is designed to encourage SBDCs across the country to identify and address any potential barriers that may exist for entrepreneurs of under-represented groups. By identifying and addressing these barriers, the Alaska SBDC can work towards creating a more inclusive and equitable entrepreneurial environment.
Where We Strive to Improve
- Expanding our suite of resources, topics, and languages they are provided in
- Improving closed captioning and language accessibility
- Continuously hiring and retaining a diverse staff to represent our clients
Alaskan Agencies Doing Great Things
- UAA Diversity Programs and Resources
- Anchorage Chamber of Commerce DEI Program
- Alaska Communications: Women in Leadership Empowerment & Diversity (WLEAD)
- University Disability Support Services: UAA | UAF | UAS | KPC
- UAA Center for Economic Development: Women & entrepreneurship in Alaska
- Identity Alaska
At the Alaska SBDC, we are dedicated to promoting inclusivity and diversity in all aspects of the business world. Our team of business advisors are committed to helping entrepreneurs navigate a wide range of challenges and circumstances, regardless of their background or identity.
We recognize that the success of small businesses is key to economic success in the state, and that success starts with inclusivity. Together, we will continue to build a thriving, inclusive business community in Alaska.