This month, we highlight two events presented by Alaska Sea Grant, and one event presented by the DoD:
- The Mariculture Conference of Alaska, February 15-17 (Juneau)
- Foundations of Kelp Farming: A Hands-On Workshop Intensive, March 21-24 (Kodiak)
- DoD Mentor Protégé Summit, March 27-30 (Orlando, FL)
The Mariculture Conference of Alaska
February 15 – February 17, 2023
The Mariculture Conference of Alaska is an opportunity for farmers, researchers, and professionals in mariculture-related industries and agencies to present on and discuss a broad range of issues related to the latest mariculture innovations, science, and activities in Alaska.
The annual conference supports the continued development of shellfish and seaweed production in Alaska, looking at accomplishments and opportunities in areas including research, education, and industry growth. Click here for details and registration.
Foundations of Kelp Farming: A Hands-On Workshop Intensive
March 21–24, 2023
This is a hands-on workshop for learning how to start an aquatic kelp farm in Alaska. This course is designed for individuals interested in learning the regulatory process of starting a farm, building a kelp farming array, deploying gear on the water, seeding lines, and more. Some activities will require participants to work with farming equipment on a small vessel in nearshore waters.
Lunches and materials for activities are provided. The workshop is limited to 10 participants, selected through applications. Applicants may request scholarship assistance.
All interested persons must submit an application by January 27, 2023. Click here for details and application.
DoD Mentor Protégé Summit 2023
March 27-30, 2023
Mentor Protégé Summit, presented by the Department of Defense (DoD), is designed to reinforce small business supply chains and their ability to compete in a modernized defense industrial base through education, networking, and collaboration. It supports the DoD Office of Small Business Programs’s goal to provide practical opportunities for small businesses in the DoD industrial base to develop, competitively market and deliver innovative solutions.
The comprehensive event will equip the small business community with reliable resources and pragmatic strategies:
- Learn how to develop mutually beneficial partnerships between experienced mentoring firms and small business protégés
- Participate in discussions during training workshops and plenary sessions to increase your comprehension
- Attend keynote addresses from industry thought leaders and subject matter experts
- Lastly, join in celebrating the recipients of the Nunn-Perry Awards for FY21 and FY22
Expect to meet key players and engage in experiential learning opportunities. Click here for details and registration.